Replacing missing teeth with a fixed solution is not new. Archaeologists have recovered skulls dating back to 600AD where teeth have been permanently replaced. The materials found to have been used as replacements range from carved stone to seashell fragments – ouch!
Today’s dental implants are made from long lasting titanium, which is biocompatible with bone structure, meaning the bone surrounding the implants fuses to it over time.
Titanium was first discovered to be ideal for dental implants in the 1950s and since then the development of implants has been extraordinary, to the point where they have grown hugely in popularity as an extremely effective, long term alternative to removable dentures.
So if you’ve been tolerating traditional dentures, now could be the time to consider this alternative.
Here are 7 reasons you should consider a dental implant:
- You can smile and eat with confidence, knowing that your dental implant and the natural looking crown that is fixed to it are not going to fall out in front of your family at the dinner table!
- You can chew without limitation – no need to overcook your vegetables and lose vital nutrients in the process, in order to make them soft enough to eat with your dentures.
- And because you can eat everything when you have a dental implant, you can:
- Chew foods you might otherwise not be able to eat
- Make sure you eat a healthy diet to support your overall health.
- Implants look and act like natural teeth and can be cared for in the same way via a robust homecare regime, no need to deal with the greater daily maintenance or cost of soaking them in denture solution overnight.
- Your implant will last longer. Much Yes, a dental implant involves an initial higher investment than dentures, but this investment becomes more cost effective when you consider that, with the right oral care, your implant will last a lifetime and the artificial tooth ‘crown’ fixed to it from 10 to 15 years before it requires replacement. By comparison, because your bones levels and bite change over time, dentures continue to need to be refitted from time to time.
- You can eat more quickly – no more embarrassment as you finish your meal noticeably behind your friends and family.
- And last but not least – they look better! There is no supporting denture plastic/metal on show and no one will know you have a ‘false’ tooth – unless you tell them!
Read feedback from our many satisfied dental implant clients here:
Want to hear more about whether dental implants are for you? Simply call the friendly Lawns Dental team today on 01406 363230 to find out everything you want to know!